Arquitectura.pt

Women and Architecture

3CPO

Do women "see" the world of architecture differently than men?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Do women "see" the world of architecture differently than men?

• Yes
    • No
    • No opinion

Do women "see" the world differently than men? As more and more women become high ranking architects, will the shape of our buildings be transformed into something better?

What do you think about women becoming high ranking architects?

Please reply in English.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

i can't believe you actually wrote that! all people r different, gender as nothing to do with architecture! the only thing that happened was that women start working (later than men) so they started to get famous (later than men). There are still less women achitects than men. i really can't understand what cleaning as to do with architecture. that's nonsense. i'm chocked! And in what concerns sensibility, men have it as well, specially architects. it's not sensitivity, it's sensibility! so my conclusion is that women will just contribute to architecture because there'll be more architects (men and women).

You know what im trying to say... It has nothing to do with gender, but...if you talk with some men about designing a kitchen, probably they wont know even what you need in a kitchen... If you check the voting pool, try to understand the results... I dont thing that women see architecture different than men, but sometimes, they have special qualities that men dont... :) :icon_poke:

• 3 months later...

I think people should improve their languages skills, so this is a great opportunity to do so! Adding the fact that by writting in a foreigh language we take a bit more time to think about what we're trying to say. Ontopic: I was at my teatcher's office last friday and as we were speaking about architecture he said that he finally understood with Sejima that women see architecture in a diferent way and i'm not talking about room organisation or something like that. I'm talking about a kind of sensitivity that women are more naturaly inclined to have. We all can admit that as we look at sejima's works. They're clean and beautiful. It looks like she was inspired by mies and took that inspiration to the next level. In the end having a woman at the office it's always a pleasure for the eyes, it gives you that extra edge to work. ehehe Gui ps: that last part was a joke

In the end having a woman at the office it's always a pleasure for the eyes, it gives you that extra edge to work. ehehe

i have something for'ya: learn to be selective....... you never now :p

All this depends in the way that a woman or a man looks towards sensitive matters.

Nothing to do if she/he is female/male . I could talk much more about this, but it not worth'it.

( ok...we are better :icon_chick: )

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't think womans can be more sensitive then men, maybe they can be difrente, and maybe mens can notice it since they are so used to see men work, but the true is that woman use to be very more practical then man and they also dream less. But about a kitchen question, well, I am the cooker of the house and I don't think that woman's of now days have any advantage on it. just my 2 cent.

Good professionals see it, feel it and execute it well, regardless of gender. Ethical, aesthetical, practical and constructional issues are the guidelines of our projects, as architects (and apprentices, as well). Those who do not take in consideration all of these values usually produce incomplete buildings. Take, for example, Paula Santos and Zaha Hadid. The former makes buildings which are very clear, practical and flexible. On the other hand, the star architect draws projects that float, whirl (do they fly?), and, when constructed, show several problems concerning practicability. The same thought could be applied to Promontório Arquitectos and Daniel Libeskind, for instance. There is no monopoly of intuition and sensibility to women or men (some are sensitive, some are not and the vast majority have some of both qualities).

Good professionals see it, feel it and execute it well, regardless of gender.
Ethical, aesthetical, practical and constructional issues are the guidelines of our projects, as architects (and apprentices, as well). Those who do not take in consideration all of these values usually produce incomplete buildings.

Agreed

Hello,
First of all i would like to introduce myself; my name is Zinaida Batrakova and i am a Russian architect woman.
I work as architect in Moscow but pretending to move on next few months to Portugal (Lisboa), and now looking for a job.
Concerning what you wrote i do believe on it!!! Very well!!!
My site with my CV: http://zinaidabatrakova.planetaclix.pt/index_curriculo.html