Arquitectura.pt

3CPO

Women and Architecture

Do women "see" the world of architecture differently than men?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Do women "see" the world of architecture differently than men?

• Yes
    • No
    • No opinion

I tend to think that there is no major difference between men and women in what is related to architectural design. Once you are a professional you have no sex! Perhaps there are still some social prejudices at that, but they tend do difuse. Every person is different from one another, regarding design attitudes. It has nothing to do with sex. In my experience, both as an architect and a professor, I should say that women, in general, are more dedicated to what they are doing, and I am talking about my office, but that doesn't stand as a rule! For cultural reasons, women are more prevalent and represent a higher number of students at Portuguese Universities. Maybe that is the matter, but has nothing to do with proficiency, nor with feminine/masculine architecture, which has to do with both women and men!

I see a greater diference in the way architects from diferent cultures see architecture rather than men or women. Sincerely i can't see a significant diferent between the work of a male architect and the work of a female architect. Architecture is beyond genders, it's about comprehension, study, method, thinking, etc and any human being dispite of its gender is naturaly capable of that.

Women do think and manage differently in business due be more sensitive.
I believe, certainly in architecture too, they do think differently and draw in line with it especially on what concerns forms, touch, and visual impact…on technical and practical requirements they probably are aligned with man standard.